Sunday, October 01, 2006

Eat Like You Live Here: October

Ah, bittersweet autumn -- a time for endings, for gathering in what is necessary, for huddling against the growing chill and darkness.

I love it! Though I'm not crazy about having to turn the furnace on already, I'm happy to curl up in my big wool sweater, walk out into the crisp fall air, and fill my stomach with sweet apples, warm squash, and ginger-molasses cookies.

There are still lingering remnants of summer, of course. At the farmers' market yesterday, I picked up a fragrant cantaloupe, a pint of lush red raspberries, ripe tomatoes and fresh basil, all intended to give me one last chance to savor warm-weather flavors. But I've also been stocking up on onions, garlic, potatoes, squash, and a late round of greens to satisfy my increased cravings for comfort foods.

The farmers' market is entering its last month, though, since the harvest season is drawing to a close. And while I know I'll miss these good folks during the winter and spring, I plan to support them as much as possible through the month so that I can enjoy good local produce further into the winter this year.

If you're still with me during this year-long challenge, thanks! I hope this month's suggestions will help you enjoy the harvest.

1. Visit your farmers' market early and often through the end of the season. You never know what surprises you might find!

2. While you're at the farmers' market, why not show your favorite farmers how much you appreciate them? Buy them a cup of coffee or, better yet, take them a little home-baked treat, especially if it showcases some of their produce. (It's been my experience that no hard-working farmer turns down cookies!)

3. Go visit a local farm and have some fun while you're picking up more produce. Some of our local farms have corn mazes or offer hayrides -- worth a day out!

4. Share this good local food with someone new. (Your friends and family are already converted by now, right?) Show them that local really does taste good!

The cold weather is coming soon enough, but you've still got time to enjoy the local bounty and make plans for winter.

So what are you waiting for?

P.S. Updates will be scanty for another week or two... please be patient!

2 Comments:

At 10/03/2006 12:54 PM, Anonymous Kim U said...

My fall CSA share ends in 6 weeks and doesn't start up again until early May. I don't know how I'm going to make it that long, I've gotten spoiled on the local produce!

 
At 10/03/2006 1:11 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Wow, yours starts in May? That's great! But I can definitely understand your desire to have the fresh produce all winter! Keep looking!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home