Saturday, September 09, 2006

Turn Up the Heat, I'm a Little Chile

With an abundance of tomatoes passing through my home in recent weeks, and with plenty of jars of crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce already filling my stores, it seemed only logical to try canning another tomato product: salsa.

The Archivist had brought me a selection of sweet and hot peppers from her garden, and not being accustomed to using fresh hot peppers, I proceeded with caution on my first batch of salsa, using a Hungarian wax pepper.

To my astonishment, I found that salsa to be so tepidly mild as to be almost an insult to my palate. So this time around, I decided to pull out the heavy-duty (for me) heat: the jalapeno.


I cut up the rest of the Romas plus some local organic onion and garlic and bell pepper, tossed it into the pot with one seeded and finely chopped jalapeno, and let it simmer for a bit before adding spices.

It wasn't a big batch of salsa, so I just poured most of it into a jar to store in the refrigerator. But of course I had to have a sample with my dinner.


This salsa had a little more of a burn to it, but I suspect my heat tolerance can take a little more in future.

After all, chile weather is on the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home