Saturday, August 26, 2006

Edamame's Little Girl


Edamame... soybeans, tender and green and fresh from the fields... what a find at today's farmers' market!

I first encountered edamame several years ago, when my favorite Chinese restaurant offered them as a special appetizer one night because the owner had been given a big bunch of them. Steamed and lightly seasoned with a soy sauce dressing, these tender little morsels were easy to pop or suck out of their fuzzy pods for a delicate treat.

I've since bought them, frozen, out of the pods and in bags, and I've enjoyed using them as a substitute for garden peas in soups and pot pies and other dishes. And while I know soybeans are grown around here, I never thought I'd find them fresh!

When I rhapsodized over the quart of edamame at the stand, the Tomato Farmer gave me That Look, the one I've come to expect on so many of the farmers' faces... the one that says, "This lady must be a little bit nuts to get so excited over such weird vegetables, but if she wants to buy them, I've got no problem with that." He also informed me that he had loads of them, so I will definitely be looking to bring more home next week!

So what, you may ask, did I do with a quart of edamame? I steamed them, pods and all, and let them cool before squeezing the beans out of the pods. (And let me tell you, that is fun!) Except for about 1/4 cup of the fresh beans, I put the rest in a bag, sealed it, and tucked it in the freezer for winter (with high hopes that I'll add a few more such bags next week).

The reserved edamame went into a quick pasta dish that I threw together for lunch: whole wheat spiral pasta tossed with edamame, corn, orange cherry tomatoes, and roasted red pepper, drizzled with olive oil and topped with Parmesan cheese.


Finding such a wonderful treat at the market made me incredibly happy all day, and having such a colorful lunch made me feel like a kid again. (It doesn't take much, I know.)

And here's hoping that next week I'll enjoy more soy!

4 Comments:

At 8/28/2006 7:03 PM, Blogger Tina said...

That pasta sounds yummy!:-) I love edamame as well; I could snack on it all day!

 
At 8/29/2006 7:16 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Oh, it was very very good... I love pasta as it's so easy to throw together something wonderful!

I'll check with the farmer to see how many weeks he might be bringing in edamame.... maybe incentive to help you plan a visit? ;-)

 
At 9/01/2006 5:31 PM, Blogger Phoenix said...

Wow, edamame... w00t!

:-D

 
At 9/05/2006 7:09 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Yep... and I bought another big batch of it this weekend... more to come on that story...

'Bout time you got back here to Blogland, baby... ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home