Saturday, July 22, 2006

Nothing But Blue(berry) Skies

I know I haven't had many kitchen adventures to share with you this past week. Summer finally decided to pay us a lingering visit with energy-sapping heat and humidity that kept me from cooking much.

And to top it all off, I've been busy cleaning the house for a very special guest: the fair Titania.

Fortunately, though, Titania’s visit means two things: nearly a week's vacation for me (and thus some serious relaxation), and nearly a week's worth of celebrating fabulous food.

To wit: Titania showed up on the doorstep around 6 last evening, and I promptly greeted her with a glass of limeade laced with a sweet red wine (Redemption from the Winery at Wolf Creek), a roasted eggplant-pine nut puree, and warm whole wheat pita.

This morning I rose at my usual insanely early hour and whipped up a batch of lavender-blueberry streusel muffins, made with local whole wheat flour, lavender from my garden, blueberries from the farm south of town, milk and butter from the local dairy, and local free-range eggs. What a treat it was to use so many quality baking ingredients from my own county!

And, oh, my! The fragrance! Blueberries and lavender complement each other so well every time I use them together. With a perfume like that dancing through the house, how can anyone sleep on?


Today's weather may be cool and rainy (admittedly, a relief after this past week), but with a dear friend here and a week's worth of fun cooking and good eating ahead of us, I've got plenty of sunshine to be thankful for in my life!

And I've got plenty of muffin, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home