Saturday, July 29, 2006

Fry Me to the Moon

On a humid day like today, when you can just feel the temperature climbing to energy-sapping levels, I'm reminded of my years Down South, and I get to craving some of my favorite Southern dishes.

And since the Fiddlin' Farmer had his first batch of fresh okra this morning, I knew I needed to get some.


After last year's long-running summer streak of fried okra dinners, my anticipation for this year's okra crop has built up steadily. So once I had that okra in my hot little hands, I could barely wait for lunchtime.


Such a simple dish to make: slice the okra, toss it in cornmeal and spices, and fry it in a skillet to end up with a bowl full of tender-crisp, melt-in-your-mouth peppery green goodness.

It's one of those dishes that exemplifies the joys of eating local food in season. There's no way that I want to freeze or (heaven forbid) pickle okra to have it in the winter because it just doesn't taste the same to me. The anticipation, the freshness, the surfeit of okra pods over a few weeks in July and August all combine to make a meal that never fails to send me into a blissful orbit.

Though I have a couple of other okra recipes I'd like to try (including an Indian dish), I know I'll return again and again to the simplicity of fried okra until the crop is gone for the year.

So bring on the sweet tea and let me enjoy the okra while it lasts!

2 Comments:

At 8/02/2006 1:18 PM, Blogger Spicyflower said...

What a splendid little recipe for a tasty snack. I don't know too many that like okra so thanks for sharing this. I'll hit Russo's and see if I can find myself some okra.

 
At 8/03/2006 7:22 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Hope you enjoy it! I'm hoping to pick up more this weekend as I have other recipes involving okra that I'd like to try (as long as it's not too hot outside!).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home