Saturday, July 15, 2006

Cabbage and Taters and Beans, Oh My!

I can't begin to tell you how much I look forward to Saturday morning and my weekly trip to the farmers' market. No matter how rough a week has been, visiting the farmers and buying loads of wonderful, fresh, locally-grown, mostly organic produce never fails to lift my spirits and give me hope.

Despite the intense humidity and the threat of rain, I made my way down the hill for my usual browse and buy. Though I was sorry not to see the Original Organic Farmer, everyone else was there with tables creaking under the weight of so much wonderful food.

I wasn't sure how much time or energy I would have to cook (or preserve) this weekend and into the week, but I still filled my pack with lots of good food in the hopes that having the produce would inspire me to make something delicious.

Here's the roundup for the week:

--more garlic and an ample zucchini from the Gentleman Farmer and his son
--slender green beans from the Taste-Everything! Lady
--fingerling potatoes, a small conical head of cabbage, a cucumber, and more homemade soaps from the Cheerful Lady and Handyman Joe
--broccoli heads from the Amish farmers
--small Japanese eggplants and red leaf lettuce from the Fiddlin’ Farmer
--half a dozen ears of bicolor corn from the Corn Queen (who has popcorn again this year; anyone up for a trade?)
--a loaf of focaccia from the bakery

After a spot of baking and a quick run around town on errands, I managed to make the time after lunch to boil the corn, shave it off the cob, and freeze it... as well as to steam, blanch, and freeze the green beans.


It's a good start, at least, and I think I might just get back into the cooking groove in the next couple of days after all.

Oh my, indeed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home