Saturday, July 29, 2006

Basket Case

During my rambles with the fair Titania this past week, I found a splendid sturdy basket with strong handles and plenty of room for goodies from the market. So of course I needed to test it on my weekly outing to the farmers' market this morning.

Nearly everyone had something I wanted, whether to cook, dry, or freeze, and with $60 in my pocket, a backpack on my shoulders, and a new basket in my hands, I was ready to go a little produce-crazy and splurge!

I visited the Original Organic Farmer, who gave me the heads-up that the local Bistro had run out of organic salad greens the night before, and if I wanted salad this week, I'd better snap up a bag right away. Naturally, I did, since the forecast includes a couple of 90-plus degree days this coming week... time for a good cold salad meal! She also had tender celery, so I bought a bag of that as well so that I could make a big pot of vegetable stock and put a few jars in the freezer. And finally, craving something a little sweet, I indulged in a package of her homemade almond cookies.

I moved on down the square and talked with the Cheerful Lady and Handyman Joe as I eyed all their fine produce. I ended up buying several small kohlrabi, a quart of green beans, four bulbs of garlic, and a seedless cucumber, but later on I returned for a bag of basil and a quart of their beautiful yellow and orange carrots.


I arrived at the Fiddlin' Farmer's stand just as he was unloading his goods, and the first thing he plopped on the table was a quart of fresh okra, just for me. I nearly fell over myself reaching for those beautiful slender pods, knowing that I'd be having plenty of fried okra this week. I also bought a small cabbage from him, whether to dry or to eat now, I'm not sure.

On my way back down the square, I picked up a bag of ruby red popcorn from the Corn Queen (that's for you, Tina!), two small bags of spinach from the sweet older couple, and a quart of green tomatoes from the Tomato Farmer.


While my backpack still had space available after all these purchases, my basket had reached a comfortable capacity, so I felt reasonably well-balanced (no comments, please!) on my trek back up the hill. (Though that could have been because my pocket was half as light as before!) The basket definitely gets high marks for convenience, spaciousness, and style, and it will accompany me on all future market trips.

I know I'll be going crazy buying more produce through the summer!

2 Comments:

At 7/31/2006 4:03 PM, Blogger Tina said...

Yay, popcorn!:-) I can't wait to try it! Haven't been to the farmer's market yet to get your maple sugar, but am planning to go this weekend.

 
At 8/01/2006 6:26 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Oh yeah, you'll like it.... good stuff! Perhaps I'll just ship it to you since it looks like August is going to be crazy busy for both of us. (Will catch up with you on email!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home