Sunday, June 18, 2006

What Curd I Do?

I've already raved to you about my wonderful friend, the fair Titania.

Her generosity knows no bounds. Not long after she sent me the pomegranate molasses, she sent another box, this time containing a very well-cushioned jar of homemade Meyer lemon curd.


What a treasure! I have sampled lemon curd before, but I had never had the chance to play with it in my own kitchen. Oh, the possibilities!

But, of course, when you think of lemon curd, you may first think of scones. I know I did.

Not just any scone, though. Oh, no. This treat called for a new scone recipe, combining flavors that would harmonize well with the creamy and sweet yet tart curd. What else would I choose but the bite of crystallized ginger and the fresh taste of mint?

Never mind that the temperature was already well into the 70s when I got up this morning. When I get the urge to bake, nothing stops me, and I wanted ginger-mint scones.

With the dark sweetness of Sucanat, a large handful of diced crystallized ginger, fresh organic lemon juice and peel, and some fresh and finely chopped spearmint from my garden, these tender little scones proved to balance the lemon curd very nicely. In fact, I rolled the dough a little more thinly than usual and made two-layer scones, with a light spread of lemon curd tucked in between.


On a handful of scones, I used some fresh strawberry-rose petal jam or even fresh berry halves for the inner layer.


Either way, the scones turned out to be a delightful brunch with a mint-and-lemon laced sweet iced tea –- perfect for a hot day in progress.

What else could I do with good lemon curd?

I aim to find out.


Ginger-Mint Scones

Derived from a recipe for Cinnamon Pecan Scones found on the King Arthur Flour web site, these scones make a tender and tasty addition to the breakfast table. My Moroccan mint would work equally well here, as would orange mint, if you have it. Serve with butter, lemon curd, or a complementary jam… or cut back on the sugar and serve this with an Indian or Thai meal for something out of the ordinary.

1/2 c sugar (I like Sucanat)
up to 1 T minced fresh spearmint
2 c whole wheat flour
1 c unbleached flour
1 T baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 c mini diced crystallized ginger
1/2 c unsalted butter
1/2 c soy milk
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp freshly grated lemon rind
2 large eggs
Lemon curd or jam for filling (optional)

In small food processor, grind sugar and mint together. In large bowl, whisk together sugar mixture, flours, baking powder, salt, and ginger. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.

In a separate bowl, beat together the milk, lemon juice and rind, and eggs. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir to combine. Knead lightly in the bowl for a moment.

Turn dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Roll it into a rectangle about 1/4" thin and cut dough with round cookie cutter (you can use other shapes as desired). Place scones on an ungreased cookie sheet and spread with a thin layer of lemon curd or jam. Place another layer of scone dough on top and seal edges. Bake in a preheated 400 F oven for 12-14 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven and serve warm.

Makes up to 2 dozen scones

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home