Monday, May 29, 2006

I'll Bisque It

After enduring cool, damp weather for a good part of the month, I've been enjoying the hot and sunny days of this holiday weekend.

And though I've had plenty of items on my to-do list, I've still had ample opportunities to get outside and soak up this gorgeous weather.

The best way to do that? I retreat to the fenced-in privacy of my backyard, sprawl in the shaded grass beneath the old maple tree, and just be.


Naturally, if I'm going to relax outside, why not take my meals with me? Even though this weekend's cooking hasn't been typical picnic fare, there's no reason why I can't carry a plate and a glass outside.

Of course, the hot weather makes me more inclined both to food that is served cold and to food with Indian spices (since sweating also helps to cool the body). So... why not have both?

Among the other recipes from Vegan With a Vengeance that contain coconut milk, I decided to try a simple but tasty-sounding carrot bisque. Yes, it required some time at a hot stove to saute carrots and onions, but once I added the spices and vegetable stock and let it simmer, I could walk away for a bit, returning only to puree the bisque and add the coconut milk.

The soup tasted delicious warm when I made it for lunch yesterday, but when served chilled and garnished with chopped pistachios, with a glass of iced jasmine tea on the side, it tasted even better.


Dining outside may be fraught with its own minor perils: ants crawling up my leg, grass and wood strawberries tickling my ankles, the hot noonday sun scorching my skin. But when balanced with refreshing breezes, bird song, and the piquant pleasure of fresh food enjoyed in the fresh air, it doesn't seem like a difficult choice.

It's a bisque I'm very willing to take.

2 Comments:

At 5/31/2006 7:40 AM, Blogger Laclos said...

Nice calming pics.
Outside here is an army of students - shuffling the streets with exam stress & caffine with the other half drunk and incontenent out in the sun. I'd take a picture but it would make you faint. Enjoy the serenity over there. :-)

 
At 5/31/2006 7:49 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Ah well, that's what it was like around here a few weeks ago... though perhaps without quite so much sun at that time.

Still, the serenity will come! Enjoy when it finds you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home