Sunday, April 16, 2006

Leave No Scone Unturned

Last night, as I pondered my baking possibilities for today, I had the notion that I might just be in the mood for scones.

As I considered this thought, it occurred to me that I could thaw the rest of last summer's strawberries to use in the scones. But since I didn't really want to incorporate them directly into the dough, I could puree them and spread them over the dough, then fold the dough over them for a layered effect.

A great idea! -- but, unfortunately, one that did not work as well as I'd hoped.

I mixed up a basic whole wheat scone dough, laced with rose geranium-scented sugar and a few fresh rose geranium petals, and patted it out on the floured counter. So far, so good.

The berries, however, were rather runny when pureed, and even the addition of sour cream, flour, and more rose geranium sugar failed to thicken them adequately.

Still, I thought I might as well try the idea anyway, so I spread a thin layer of sauce over the dough, folded half the dough over the other half, and carefully lifted the dough onto a prepared cookie sheet. (I decided to wait until the dough had baked before cutting it into squares so that the puree didn't leak out everywhere.)

The scones turned out to have only a barely discernable layer in the middle, and since I had plenty of puree left over, I did the only sensible thing and treated it as sauce for the scones:


On the whole, while the layering didn't work as well as I'd like, the taste was very good, so I'll have to try it again with a thicker inner layer (perhaps with jam or fresh chopped fruit instead).

After all, once I get an idea in my head, I'll keep trying until I get it right.

(Especially when the results are delicious!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home