Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Do the Rice Thing

Over the weekend, I stocked up on lots of fresh spring vegetables -- asparagus, snow peas, broccoli, baby carrots -- but opted not to cook a big batch of anything in the hopes that I would whip up something fresh, healthy, and easy each night.

Sunday evening I kicked off the week with a curry stir-fry, combining all of these vegetables with some fresh garlic and a healthy dash of curry powder, served over brown basmati rice.

I intentionally made a big pot of rice because I tend to be very lazy about cooking it and would rather have plenty to reheat!

And what better way to reheat rice than to have fried rice?

Monday night... and again tonight... I steamed a good-sized serving of asparagus and snow peas, cut to bite size, then sauteed some garlic, added the rice, added the vegetables, and threw in a quick and easy tamari sauce, allowing it to cook down and become temptingly savory.


So easy, so colorful, and sooooo delicious.

A dish of this homemade fried rice, no matter what vegetables I throw in, always makes me happy and lets me feel like I'm having something comparatively healthy.

And that, of course, is the rice thing to do.

Fried Rice (for a Healthy Heart)

I found a quick and easy recipe for fried rice online some time ago, but I've made it without the recipe so much that I'm sure I've adapted it to my own taste by now. This version makes a single serving... increase quantities as needed.

1 c fresh vegetables, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2" piece of ginger, peeled and minced
2 tsp canola oil
1 c cooked rice (I love brown basmati rice... good flavor!)
3 T tamari (use low-sodium if you can find it)
1 T brown rice vinegar
1 T toasted sesame oil
1/2 tsp sweetener (sugar, honey, etc.)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

Steam vegetables until crisp-tender. Set aside.

Saute garlic and ginger in oil in large skillet. When fragrant, add rice and stir until well coated. Toss in vegetables and stir, cooking for about 2 minutes.

Mix together remaining ingredients and pour over vegetables and rice. Stir, cooking for another 2-4 minutes.

Serves one hungry but happy person!

3 Comments:

At 4/20/2006 5:50 PM, Blogger Tina said...

Mmmmmm...I'm a huge fan of brown basmati rice, and that recipe sounds VERY yummy!:-)

 
At 4/21/2006 7:11 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Oh, it is! And you know, I've given up on measuring exactly for cooking the rice... I just dump in rice, an approximate amount of water, boil it, turn it down to simmer, and keep checking every 10 minutes or so. If I measure, it ends up being too soupy!

Anyway, let me know if you want me to send you some of this rice... the co-op here has it in stock regularly. Great stuff for Indian dishes, too!

 
At 4/25/2006 5:12 PM, Blogger Tina said...

Thanks, I may take you up on that!:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home