Friday, March 17, 2006

My Wild Irish Rose

Though I don't often "celebrate" St. Padraig's/Patrick's Day in the conventional fashion (I have a chronic aversion to green beer and shamrock shakes), I will admit that my Celtic heritage likes to surge forth a little for the day.

I'll not dance a wee jig for you, though I might slip a CD by Cherish the Ladies, Solas, or another fine group onto the player and sing along.

And while I've got to be in the right mood for a Guinness, an Irish coffee, or even my favorite nutty Irishman, this year I've got an excellent non-alcoholic drink to lift in a toast to fair Erin's isle: wild Irish rose tea.

Somehow I got the brilliant idea to toss a few dried red rose petals from my (organic) herb garden into the pot while steeping some good Irish breakfast tea. Add milk and sugar as usual, and there you have it: a bracing brew with a delicate floral taste that brings back memories of misty summer mornings with the dew clinging to the green, green grass and the velvety red rambling rose.


No, I'll probably not be wearing green or a silly button that says "Kiss Me, I'm Irish," but after a cup of good Irish tea, I might slip into a bit of a brogue to wish you a hearty Irish blessing (one of my favorites being, "May you be in heaven half an hour before the Devil knows you're dead!").

And these Irish eyes will be smiling all day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home