Saturday, March 11, 2006

Feeling Squashed

You remember that big zucchini I picked up at the farmers' market last summer and immediately shredded and froze?

Yeah, I've been guilty of forgetting it for most of the fall and winter, too.

But last night I pulled out a couple packages of it to let them thaw in time for me to make a loaf of zucchini bread for my breakfast this morning.

Since I don't make zucchini bread often, I tend to stick with the traditional recipe found in Big Red. Today's loaf, however, became extra special with the use of several local ingredients: eggs, butter, whole wheat flour, walnuts, and, of course, zucchini.

Thanks to the use of all whole wheat flour and Sucanat, this loaf turned out slightly more grainy than the usual soft bread, and the crust had a pleasing crispness to it that made a nice contrast to the tender crumb.


I'm glad I got up early to make this -- for one thing, I was well and truly hungry by the time it came out of the oven, and for another, I knew it was only the beginning of a day full of baking and cooking.

Glad I squeezed it in while I could!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home