Sunday, March 26, 2006

Cinn-fully Good

In past years, throughout the cooler months I would bake bread nearly every Saturday morning. This year, though, it seems like I've baked bread only once or twice a month.

As this weekend approached, I had the Archivist's apple swirl bread in mind and felt the temptation to make something similar. At first, I thought I might try a white-wheat loaf with a pesto spiral worked through. But then I decided to save that for another week and to make a recipe from The Bread Baker's Apprentice that I haven't had in a while: cinnamon raisin walnut bread.

How could I go wrong with that combination? After all, cinnamon is one of my favorite spices, and I do love to bake with walnuts. (Raisins I can take or leave, but I was in the mood to take them today.)

And since this bread goes well for breakfast (toast or French toast), lunch (peanut butter sandwich), and even dinner (perhaps with a blue- and cream-cheese spread), well, there was nothing to stop me from conjuring up that magnificent yeasty smell and firing up the oven.

Truth be told, the cinnamon, raisins, and walnuts are kneaded into this loaf instead of swirled, though I did roll extra nuts into the dough as I shaped it. But no matter.


When you've got fresh bread full of fragrant ingredients, it doesn't really matter how it looks, as long as it tastes fantastic.

And believe me, it does.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home