Saturday, March 25, 2006

Bean There, Done That

Since I only used half a pound of tofu in last week's nine jewel rice, I was determined to use the remaining bean curd for its originally intended purpose: peanut tofu.

I hadn't made this dish since last summer, but I knew it was worth revisiting, even if I didn't have fresh green beans to go with it (or a "Siam sundae" waiting for me afterward).

Of course, the events of the week kept me from even marinating the tofu until Thursday, after which I returned the now flavored and sauteed cubes to the refrigerator until I had time and inclination to make the peanut sauce and cook the rest.

Lately it seems like the only time I've had to get deep into cooking has been the weekends, and so it was that this evening I finally pulled everything together -- marinated tofu, peanut sauce, organic broccoli, and soba (buckwheat) noodles -- and whipped up a satisfying dinner.


Funny, I used to hesitate before cooking with fresh tofu because I couldn't get it to hold the right texture or to taste just right. But after learning a trick or two, it just doesn't bother me any more. No big deal!

And the results have bean worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home