Monday, January 30, 2006

You Go, Garlic!

I might have known.

It happens pretty much every year... during that first warm spell of the winter or early spring, I dash heedlessly outside to work or play, only to come back inside with a cold or a sore throat.

And so here I sit, nursing a red, raw throat with lots and lots of tea (mostly green tea or herbal tisanes) liberally laced with some good local honey.

But above all, when that soreness starts to make my throat ache and swallowing becomes just a bit more arduous, I reach for my own home brew: garlic "tea."

I know, I know... my first reaction when I read about this herbal "cure" in a book on herbal teas was disbelief and apprehension. But I promise you, between this and gargling with salt water, there's almost nothing better for my sore throat.

Of course, even though I've come to appreciate the taste of this brew as much as its effects, I've learned to make it even more appealing with the addition of fresh ginger. So when that first tickle creeps into my throat, I stock up on the basics: garlic (local and organic!), ginger, lime, and honey.

A cup of this in the morning and again at night... with copious amounts of other light teas with honey throughout the day... and my throat is feeling better in no time.

But you'll forgive me if you don't hear much from me over the next couple of days!

Sore Throat Soother

Also referred to as my "garlic tea," the original recipe for this came from one of my herb books (title now forgotten). My variation can be used in two different ways when you're sick: with the garlic for a sore throat, and without for upset stomach, flu, and generally feeling under the weather.

1 clove garlic, minced
1" fresh ginger, peeled and either chopped or mashed
juice of 1/2 lime
1 generous spoonful of honey
1 c hot water

Place garlic, ginger, lime juice, and honey in a mug, and pour in hot water. Stir until honey is dissolved. Sit back and sip slowly, swallowing the garlic whole (but probably not the ginger!), letting the warmth and the sweetness soothe your throat.

Makes 1 dose; repeat as needed!

2 Comments:

At 2/01/2006 5:50 PM, Blogger Tina said...

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well, hope you get better soon!

 
At 2/02/2006 6:59 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Thanks, Tina! Between this and plenty of good, spicy Chinese food, my throat is doing MUCH better. Maybe I'm learning how to take care of myself???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home