Saturday, January 28, 2006

Tastes Grape, Less Filling

I don't drink juice every morning for breakfast, but when I do, I like the good fresh stuff as much as possible.

But now that the last of my oranges have been squeezed and drained, what am I supposed to do for my juice fix?

Well, Dear Readers, if you'll remember back to late summer when I rhapsodized about the fragrant Concord grapes I found at the farmers' market, you'll also remember that I had tucked away three quarts of luscious dark unsweetened grape juice in the freezer for just this eventuality.

So last night I pulled the first quart from the freezer and set it in the fridge to thaw overnight, and though it was still slightly slushy this morning when I poured a cup, I wasn't about to be deterred by mere chunks of ice.


Never mind that it's January. With the first sip, I tasted those fresh, sweet grapes again and had a momentary vision of standing amidst the grapevines with the warm September sun releasing the fragrance of the fruit, the leaves, and even the soil.

Grape juice never tasted this good before, even though I drank it constantly as a kid... but having the connection to the region where the grapes were grown, to the kind people who grew them, and to the process of making the juice makes this morning refreshment all the sweeter.

It's a grape way to start the day, don't you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home