Sunday, January 01, 2006

Taking Stock

Welcome to the New Year!

Aside from the last round of holiday baking early last week and the reheating of leftovers or foraging for small snacks, I've barely set foot in the kitchen.

All those plans to cook and freeze entrees for later use? All for naught.

But with the start of the New Year, I'm finally ready to cook again. (OK, truth be told... I'm running low on ready-made dishes and I'm starting to get hungry.)

So I stepped into the kitchen this morning to take stock of the situation... or rather, to make stock of the situation.

Sadly, I'm out of all my good local potatoes, sweet potatoes, and onions, though I did throw some good organic garlic from the Cheerful Lady into the stock pot, along with a couple of ice cubes of frozen parsley from my garden. At this time of year, I take what I can get.

And so, "bubble, bubble, toil, and trouble..."


...until an hour later, it's time to strain the contents of the pot and enjoy that beautiful golden vegetable stock.


Some of the stock went right into a comforting vegetable pot pie, and the rest will be used in soup later this week. (I'm thinking about a roasted potato soup, though we'll see what I'm in the mood for later.)

Any way you look at it, it's a good start for the year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home