Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Sunshine of My Heart

You wouldn't think that after a big round of holiday baking I would be ready to head into the kitchen for another round, would you? Especially when I myself was well off sweets for the holidays?

Oh, my Dear Readers, if you think that, you don't know me very well.

As I've mentioned before, I'm not immune to appeals to my culinary vanity. And when I get rave reviews for my newest recipe, sunshine cookies, from almost everyone who received them in their Christmas boxes and baskets, how can I possibly say no when some of those same people beg for more?

I can't. I just can't.

So tonight I found myself stepping into the kitchen immediately after work to start mixing up a double batch of cookies for care packages and local handouts. Yes, a double batch! Fortunately, this recipe doubles well and my arm is strong enough to handle mixing all of it, so I just dove right in.


Fresh orange peel, tiny chunks of candied ginger (those darker spots in the dough), real almond and vanilla extracts... can't you just taste those crisp, not-too-sweet but oh-so-satisfying morsels right now? Don't you feel a little more healthy just for thinking of the vitamin C packed into these treats?


Well, maybe you can't, but a select few will be able to enjoy them soon. All right, more than a few people, seeing as how a double batch made eight full pans of cookies (approximately 130 cookies, but who's counting?).

Initial quality control checks have revealed that the usual standards of flavor and quality have been maintained, and additional quality control experts will be called in for sampling tomorrow evening. I think it's safe to say, though, that once again these cookies pass the test.

And with the skies looming gray again, we all need a little extra sunshine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home