Friday, January 06, 2006

Souper Bowl

I've been meaning all week to do something with that lovely golden vegetable stock I made over the weekend, but I never got around to it until last night.

Just in time, too! as the winds rolled in and dropped the temperatures to the freezing point, enabling the wet snow to stick around a little longer. So on a damp and chilly night, what else was I to do but pull out a favorite soup recipe?

I've made no secret of the fact that the humble potato is one of my favorite vegetables. And when you roast potatoes with onions and garlic until they're brown and crusty, then toss them into simmering stock, puree the lot, and thicken the liquid a little further with cornstarch and some good local milk... well, what's not to love?

Creamy and richly colored and flavored, speckled with a generous scattering of thyme and pepper, this roasted potato soup warms the stomach... and the heart... on a chilly night.


I even decided to dress it up a little bit, in the time-honored Bistro style, with bread crumbs toasted with parsley and garlic and a dash of olive oil. (After all, such a garnish worked well on the lusciously creamy roasted garlic soup my Granola Girl and I had the good fortune to enjoy last week for lunch!)

What happiness! I had been tempted to steam some kale or toast some of this week's bread (cornmeal-millet), but such a soup makes an incredibly satisfying meal all on its own.

Good thing, too, as I've got about 2 quarts left!

Let the cold weather return... I'm ready.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home