Sunday, January 29, 2006

O-tay, Buckwheat!

Not only is breakfast the most important meal of the day, in my book it's usually the most important meal of the whole weekend.

After all, it's usually only on the weekends that I have enough time to make something out of the ordinary, like cinnamon rolls or croissants or biscuits and grits. And it's only on the weekends that I can persuade friends to join me for the occasional lavish brunch.

But sometimes weekends are the perfect time to break out of the usual rut just enough to try a variation on an old favorite. And as much as I love my pancakes, it's rare that I go beyond my usual recipes and pull out an old-fashioned treat: buckwheat griddlecakes.

Though I didn't grow up on buckwheat pancakes, my Dear Papa did, as well as one of my Opera-Loving Friends, and I have been assured by both that the recipe I use (from Vegetarian Times) is very like what they enjoyed as growing boys.

And what's not to enjoy? The darker flavor of buckwheat gives depth to the whole wheat flour, and though the slightly runny batter makes thin pancakes (almost like thick crepes), every bite of these speckled cakes is packed with a hearty flavor.


It's been a long, long time since I enjoyed this recipe. Long overdue!

And now that I've refreshed my memory as to just how tasty buckwheat can be, I think I'll have to look up the recipe for buckwheat blini that I now recall was part of my reason for buying the buckwheat flour in the first place.

Maybe... next weekend?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home