Saturday, January 28, 2006

The Most Important Meal of the Day

It's Saturday morning. The sun is shining, and the temperatures, already balmy, are predicted to reach 50 degrees. I've got a long list of chores and projects to tackle today, and, clad in my scruffy old jeans and work shirts, I'm ready to jump into action.

Well, almost ready.

After all, as the Chef Mother used to remind me, breakfast is the most important meal of the day, fueling you with good food that provides the energy to help you get your work done.

And, since I've challenged myself to eat more local foods this year, breakfast is the right time of the day to start working those local foods onto my plate.

I've got a busy day ahead with lots of physical labor involved, so I decided I needed one of my favorite hard-working-woman's breakfasts:


--My favorite hash browns with local potatoes and a local free-range egg scrambled in

--Vegetarian "sausage" (not local, but I do like it on occasion)

--Grape juice, still as fresh as the day I bought the grapes at the farmers' market

--Organic coffee laced with local milk

No, not a completely local breakfast, but I'm still working on it. And it will definitely fortify me for the day ahead as I make vegetable stock, clean up the herb garden, spruce up the garage, make soup, paint baseboards, tackle new stitching projects, walk to the grocery store...

Now that's fuel efficiency for you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home