Saturday, December 10, 2005

With a Nog and a Wink

I had a list when I visited both the grocery store and the co-op this morning, with no apparent need or desire to add anything to my selections.

But after I picked up my whole grain pasta and organic sugar at the co-op, I idly wandered over to the refrigerated case. And what should catch my eye but the new, seasonal item on the milk shelf:

Egg nog from the local dairy.

Normally I hold out for the soy "egg" nog at this time of year since it's lighter but still delicious. It's been ages since I had the real deal, and knowing the high quality (and butterfat content) of this dairy's ice cream, I knew this egg nog would be very rich and creamy.

Frozen for a split second by the indecision, the conflict between good sense and longing, I stared at the quart-sized glass bottle until I reached the tipping point.

It is locally produced, after all, and you know how I feel about that.

Yes, that bottle returned home with me, and the small sample dusted with nutmeg that served as my dessert tonight proved to be every bit as rich, creamy, and luscious as I had expected.

I won't be drinking this every night, of course, but it will surely be a delightful nightcap when I do.

Local tastes good... really good.

2 Comments:

At 12/12/2005 4:38 PM, Blogger Tina said...

Mmmmm...sounds luscious! I'll have to get to our local co-op to see if they have any local egg nog. Or the local dairy, which has been around since my granny was a child. I want to try an experiment, pour egg nog into my ice cream maker as is, and see if it makes decent ice cream. Should be interesting! (I suppose at worst it might turn out a milkshake consistency, and that could be good!:-)

 
At 12/13/2005 6:56 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Now that could be a very interesting (and tasty) experiment! Let me know how it goes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home