Thursday, December 22, 2005

Nothing But the Tooth

True confession time, Dear Readers.

Part of the reason I haven't been indulging in too many sweets (even my own!) this holiday season is that I learned before Thanksgiving that I have my first cavity ever and needed to have a filling made.

Never having had a cavity before, you may imagine the horror struck into my heart at that news... and the blow to my precious pride. Oh, the humanity!

(Let me drop the drama for a moment to say that I am fully aware... and enormously grateful... that if a mere cavity is the extent of trauma in my life, I'm blessed. I truly am. Still, I couldn't pass up the humor in this situation and not post about it to all of you.)

I admit it. I'm a wimp. A wuss. A baby. And I was not looking forward to this dental adventure with anything but fretfulness.

But thanks to a skillful dentist with a light touch... as well as to my new friend, Nitrous Oxide, which left me completely indifferent and blissed out, gurgling contentedly to myself while the work progressed... I emerged from the ordeal largely unscathed and actually pretty pleased overall.

I almost (almost) regretted not bringing some baklava for the man (but really, what does one give to someone who has just wielded a laser in your mouth?).

So how does one celebrate surviving such an event? After all, I'm pretty good at celebrating firsts these days.

Well, my Dear Readers, I did what any normal kid at heart would do:

I went home, curled up in front of the VCR (let's give it up for Monty Python!), and ate some of my Fabulous Aunt's cookies.

And I didn't brush my teeth for a good hour afterward.

(I know... living on the edge there!)

To top it off, I toasted my newly fixed-up tooth with a tipple of dandelion wine in the evening. (Better than champagne!)

I can laugh at myself now, of course, and could even beforehand... but I am glad that's over with and that it went so well.

And now... let the holiday munchies begin in earnest!

2 Comments:

At 12/22/2005 10:29 PM, Blogger curious servant said...

"Bring out your bread... bring out your bread!"

("I'm not bread yet!")

Dear rolling in the dough: Merry Christmas!

 
At 12/23/2005 7:14 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Someone's on a roll now... d'ough!

Thanks for the laughter, curious servant... good way to start the holy days!

Merry Christmas to you as well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home