Friday, December 23, 2005

Bready or Not, Here Comes Christmas!

Christmas is two days away... can you hear the clock ticking?

Today is my last day at work for the year, so you may not see any posts here for a week and a half. (I am updating my laptop as I type, so there's a possibility I'll get a little more caught up at My Favorite Coffee House sometime next week... but don't hold your breath.)

And right now, I'm just itching to get through this day because tomorrow I start the final round of holiday baking: breads.

I'll be spending part of Christmas Day with my adorable boys, Beaker and Scooter, and along with the presents, cookies, baklava, and biscotti (for their dad, the Absent-Minded Professor) that I'll have in my pack (no, it's not red, and my coat is green, so you'll not mistake me for old Kris Kringle), I'll be packing good, wholesome yeast bread.

This family of mine (they're related not by blood but by spirit) loves good bread as much as I do, so along with a loaf of bread to go with dinner, I'll have a loaf of the traditional Norwegian Christmas bread, julekage.

A tender, enriched bread laced with cardamom and raisins, julekage makes for a simple but delicious treat, especially when toasted and well-buttered and served with fresh fruit and a good cup of something hot to drink. My Opera-Loving Friends introduced me to it when I visited them in Norway many years ago (they were on leave), and I found a recipe in order to make it for them when they came back.

Of course, come Boxing Day (the day after Christmas), I'll be trekking out again with a pack full of goodies, including julekage, for those Opera-Loving Friends and their family. After all, though I know my baking is not the reason their sons are heading down from Canada for the week, I also know that, like my local friends, these gentlemen wouldn't say no to the usual array of Christmas treats.

In short, it's time for me to head out to the kitchen again! After breads, I'll start in on my own cooking over break, stocking up on good, hearty, consoling meals (some of which I hope to stash in the freezer for later use) and cooking for company later in the week.

I'm sure I'll have more to tell later, and I do know that I will have a very special treat for all my Dear Readers in the New Year.

In the meantime, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy Hanukkah... whatever blessed holy days you celebrate... and may hope and peace fill your hearts with light at this darkest time of the year.

I wish you much joy, love, and good eating in the New Year!

2 Comments:

At 12/26/2005 4:20 PM, Anonymous Canadian Friend said...

Dear Baklava Queen,

Thank you very much for the holiday treats!

Well worth the trip from Guelph.

Canadian friend

 
At 12/28/2005 10:33 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Dear Friends from Up North,

So glad you enjoyed your treats... I hope everyone had a chance to sample everything, and that you were able to carry a whole loaf home with you.

But... you just missed Pie in the Sky. Will post more on that later.

BQ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home