Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Keeping the Doctor Away

You know the old saying, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." So how far away do you think the doc is if my apple dessert last night contained no fewer than half a dozen apples?

My Fabulous Aunt, legendary family baker, has a supersecret recipe for a luscious apple dessert similar to an apple crisp but soooooo much better. This fantastic dessert has been known to stir up a rivalry between me and a friend of their family over who gets the leftovers (yeah, I won... take that!), to have medicinal powers strong enough to cause an "overdose" if taken warm with a big scoop of ice cream, and generally to make everyone very, very happy.

My Fabulous Aunt has been known to send pans of the pre-baked goopy apple concoction through the mail before (well packaged and cushioned, never fear!), but this year she hit upon the perfect solution: she mixed up the topping with all her secret ingredients, packaged the dry mix in zippered plastic bags, and sent two packs to me with instructions for baking.

Easy enough! Just cut softened butter into the dry mix and sprinkle over peeled, sliced apples in an ungreased baking dish, then bake for half an hour. And there you have it... perfect, warm, spicy-sweet apple dessert.

You don't need a whole lot in one sitting (though I used to devour half a pan at once) because the brown sugar and the spices and the butter in the topping work together into a crunchy, carmelized crumb over the softened apples, and a little goes a loooooong way.

But after all, apples are pretty wholesome, so I thought I might put some of the apple dessert on top of warm oatmeal this morning. Can I help it if I didn't actually get around to making the oatmeal?

Nope, no doctor on my doorstep... I'm taking my apple "medicine" faithfully!

2 Comments:

At 11/02/2005 3:05 PM, Anonymous Tina said...

MMmmmmmm...sounds heavenly! (Note to self: add apple crisp to list of tasties to make soon. Very soon.)

 
At 11/03/2005 2:06 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Oh, and it was very... VERY... good.

Glad I've got another half a peck of apples and more topping mix! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home