Thursday, November 10, 2005

Considering the Pastabilities

It's been one of those weeks when I've found myself largely uninterested in cooking and, aside from the necessity of doing so, even eating. I'm glad I've had a fair amount of leftovers in the fridge, because otherwise I'd probably have passed out by now.

(For example, since I planned to swim on Monday, I knew I wouldn't be home for lunch. But since I didn't have anything specifically made for my lunch, I ended up packing an apple, a pumpkin muffin, and a small handful of peanut butter pretzels. It sufficed.)

But last evening I considered my options:

1. I could make a recipe of Middle Eastern vegetables from scratch. Nah, too much effort, and I didn't have couscous.

2. I could make the stir-fry tofu with basil and green beans that I've been planning to make along with soup for dinner Friday evening with Phoenix and Mr. Nice Guy come over for dinner. Nah, had tofu the night before, not ready for it again.

3. I could make something with the leftover chickpeas before they go off. But what?

Then it hit me... pasta e ceci!

I started by sauteeing one small chopped onion (local/organic) and a couple sliced cloves of garlic (ditto) with olive oil and some fresh rosemary from the pot on my table. I added the contents of a small jar of the Costoluto Genovese tomatoes from my garden along with the rest of the chickpeas and some pepper, and I let them all simmer down for a bit before pureeing them into a thick, chunky sauce.

Meanwhile, I cooked a small handful of broccoli for a side dish, and then I cooked some whole wheat macaroni for a lunch serving and cheese tortellini for dinner.

I topped the tortellini with that fragrant sauce and some yummy goat cheese that my dear colleague, She-Who-Brings-Fresh-Donuts, shared with me in the morning... tossed the broccoli with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of salt... and there you have it, an easy but satisfying dinner, with leftovers to boot!

I was so pleased with myself that I enjoyed a small celebratory glass of dandelion wine with it.

I'm sure tonight I'll face a similar dilemma about dinner, but at least for one night I solved the eternal question of "what's for dinner?"

I suppose I could always bake a potato...

2 Comments:

At 11/11/2005 4:48 PM, Anonymous Tina said...

Mmmmmmmm...sounds lovely!:-)

 
At 11/14/2005 2:03 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

And oh so good as leftovers... I polished off the last today after my swim. Mmmmmmmm!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home