Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Missing the Oat

It's quite an adjustment, being back home and back at work this week. I managed to stock up on groceries Sunday, but I still haven't quite got the same urge to cook (or, obviously, the abundance of time) that I had last week.

Part of it is that I'm missing the relaxed routine I had of waking up later, stoking the wood stove, and enjoying a bowl of good Irish oatmeal cooked in (gasp!) whole milk for breakfast. (Who knew that oatmeal could be so decadent?)

So this morning I decided that even though I was up at my usual early hour (you don't want to know... college students are just going to bed when I get up), I was going to make something special for breakfast before heading in to work a little early. And though I have some of that good Irish oatmeal on my own shelf, I had an idea for an oatmeal twist on my old favorite, pancakes.

Part of the inspiration came from a really wonderful oatmeal cookie I had made earlier this year, loaded with mini diced ginger and dates, so between that combination and the recipe for my favorite whole grain pancakes, I was able to whip up something both wholesome and happy.

I'm still missing those halcyon days of vacation. Heck, I even miss that wood stove!

But I'm not missing a good breakfast!

Oatmeal Pancakes

Almost all the pancakes I make are derived from my grandfather's recipe; where he got it, I don't know. But they're goooooooood.

1/2 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c rolled oats
1/4 c wheat germ
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 T Sucanat (or other sugar)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 c chopped mini diced crystallized ginger
1/4 c chopped dates
1 egg
2 T canola oil or melted butter
3/4 to 1 c soy milk (or regular milk)
salt or butter for the pan

Whisk together dry ingredients. Add chopped ginger and chopped dates and toss to coat.

Whisk together egg, oil, and soy milk. Add to dry ingredients and whisk until well combined and airy.

Salt or grease a hot skillet and add approximately 1/4 c batter to the pan. When bubbles appear on top of the cake and it looks like it's starting to dry, flip it over and brown the other side.

Serve hot with butter and maybe even maple syrup.

Makes 4 pancakes (I usually eat one per morning; keeps well in the fridge)

4 Comments:

At 10/18/2005 11:09 PM, Anonymous Tina said...

Mmmmmm...I may have to try those this weekend, they sound heavenly!:-)

 
At 10/19/2005 7:15 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Yes, they are pretty darn tasty... and I love how "wholesome" and "healthy" can taste so good!

I had thought about throwing in some chopped pecans, too... maybe next time. And a cup of chai goes very well with these.

Maybe I should try the pear-pine nut-walnut jam with them too... hmmmm...

 
At 10/19/2005 4:30 PM, Anonymous Tina said...

I shall be topping mine with maple syrup from the farmer's market's Maple Syrup Guy, and perhaps one or two w/ elderberry jelly from the Jam Lady. (Not all in one sitting though. Well, probably not.;-) BTW, that pear-pine nut-walnut jam sounds tasty!

In the past I've frozen leftover pancakes in single servings, and reheated them in the toaster. Turned out perfectly!

 
At 10/20/2005 8:07 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Those both sound like excellent alternatives, Tina... local maple syrup is hard to beat!

I've considered making all the pancakes at once and then freezing them to reheat later... but somehow it just seems easier to keep the jar of batter in the fridge and make a new one each day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home