Friday, October 21, 2005

Me and My Gal(ette)

As previously noted, I had fresh parsnips from my garden, and I was not afraid to use them.

After trekking downtown to the grocery store for some kale (and to the co-op for other grocery items; they don't carry too much produce, alas), I returned home damp and shivery and ready for something hot and satisfying for dinner.

I pulled out the recipe for the parsnip galette with greens from Local Flavors and started off by cutting the washed parsnips in a julienne fashion (since they were too small to shred) while I steamed the kale.

Then I mixed together ingredients (egg, flour, salt, pepper, veggies) while I toasted chopped walnuts and dried sage in olive oil, adding them to the mixture when they were sufficiently browned.

Back into the skillet went the entire mixture, browning as beautifully as a perfect potato pancake. The walnuts toasted a little more and mingled with the comforting flavors of the vegetables, and my mouth watered as I waited impatiently for the galette to finish cooking.

Though I cut the recipe in half, it ended up being the perfect amount to make one galette about 8" in diameter, thus being the perfect size for a good, hearty fall dinner.

And the flavors! Mmmmm! Warm, toasted and toasty, slightly sweet and earthy, with a wonderfully addictive herbal crunch from the toasted walnuts, the flavors of all the ingredients came together in a perfect blend of autumnal tastes.

I suspect that this recipe, being similar to potato pancakes, would work well with other root vegetables and greens, so I believe I'll have to try it again. After all, it didn't take long to throw together, and it tasted sooooo good!

It's a match made in heaven.

2 Comments:

At 10/22/2005 10:14 PM, Blogger curious servant said...

My mouth is watering!

 
At 10/24/2005 9:53 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I know! :) I thought about it again this weekend, despite not having parsnips or dark leafy greens on hand... I think this will be a dish I return to repeatedly for comfort food.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home