Thursday, October 20, 2005

Back to My Roots

Yesterday afternoon, I finally had the time, the energy, and the beautiful weather to get back out to my garden to do some weeding and clearing. (Ugh.)

I've got a nice big bunch of parsley that I'd like to chop and freeze, as well as a smaller parsley plant that I think I'll try to dig up and pot and move indoors for winter. (I don't always have good luck with keeping parsley going through the winter, but it's worth a try.)

I also checked on my carrots and parsnips and decided to dig up a couple of carrots for dinner while I was digging up the parsnips for dinner tonight. Though I only had four or five small parsnips to harvest (didn't plant enough, and that row just didn't do so well this year... too damp?), I've got two recipes from Local Flavors to decide between: a parsnip salad with dates and walnuts, or a parsnip galette with greens.

Personally, I'm leaning toward the galette, as long as I remember to swing by the grocery store to pick up greens after work (unless I find my last row of kale at home is big enough to pick... probably not). The salad sounds good, too, but I've been on an egg-eating kick lately (reinforced by reading such yummy recipes as the Stir-Fried Eggs with Buckwheat Noodles and Salad Greens found on MaverickEats, the food blog from Tom Philpott's farm). So I think the galette will win out.

Obviously next year I will have to plant more parsnips because I've grown to appreciate them more and more as I've gotten older. As a kid, I would only eat them if they had been cooked and coated with a brown sugar and butter glaze. But now, I find them indispensable in soups (such as the curried carrot-parsnip soup I make once a year) and in roasted root vegetables.

The garden may be winding down for the year, but the lingering root vegetables will make me happy for a while longer.

It's good to be back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home