Thursday, September 29, 2005

The Rest o' the Pesto

Fall is here, and nights are growing progressively more chilly. Before the first frost decides to sneak in here and decimate the remains of the garden, I thought I'd better pick the last of the basil last night to make a third and final batch of pesto.

It took me years to discover pesto, but once I did, I was hooked. What's not to love about mounds of fresh basil, fresh garlic cloves, rich pine nuts, freshly grated Parmesan cheese, and delicious golden extra-virgin olive oil?

Absolutely nothing, I say.

And with my small chopping/food processing attachment for my hand mixer, whipping up a batch of pesto presto! is unbelievably easy.

So I took some time after work yesterday to strip the last leaves from the basil plants, blend the pesto, and spoon it into an ice cube tray (which makes cubes of just the right size of one serving each) before shoving it into the freezer.

For dinner, I saved a small amount of the pesto and tossed it with whole wheat macaroni, steamed broccoli, oven roasted tomatoes, roasted red peppers, and a few more pine nuts and Parmesan to make another almost entirely organic meal (save for the Parmesan!). Heaven!

I'd give you the recipe for pesto... honest I would... but I always just sort of wing it, throwing things together and adjusting as needed, so you're probably better off finding a recipe somewhere else. But once you try it, you'll know there's no comparison between homemade and store-bought pesto, and you, too, will be hooked.

As for me, I have enough now to get me through the winter!

2 Comments:

At 9/29/2005 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm. Pesto.

My backyard was neglected (a mess!) before we moved in last year so we have been working on basics like getting water lines put in and digging out invasive plants. I soothed myself by having a herb container garden. I grew a couple of containers of basil this year and pulled a few batches of pesto out. So fresh, almost minty, I am hooked on the stuff. I still have enough leaves to make another batch soon which I plan to enjoy with a pile of pasta and a nice bottle of red wine over the weekend.
-Lori

 
At 9/29/2005 1:01 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

And isn't that a wonderful thing? (Though I admit, I meant to get the wine out and then forgot...)

I completely understand about the invasive plants. The back quadrant of my garden is completely overrun, and it's going to take some effort to clear and cover that for the winter. Glad you were able to enjoy container gardening this year, though, to keep something green going!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home