Friday, September 09, 2005

Repeat Performance

You'd wouldn't think I'd be this worn out this early in the semester, but there you go.

I've been cleaning out the refrigerator the past couple of days and not cooking anything new, but last night I mustered the energy and excitement to repeat a couple of recent winning recipes.

First up, I made baingan bhartha again for dinner with some of those lovely little eggplants I found at the farmers' market last weekend. And since I had bought extra, I still have plenty left to try the roasted eggplant and chickpea stew recipe I recently found in Local Flavors.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason (the lack of cilantro? the waxing moon? the exhaustion?) it didn't turn out quite so perfectly this time. Lots of good flavor and the right amount of heat, but, well... it just wasn't as satisfying. Sigh.

I also whipped up a quick batch of peanut butter-chocolate chip cookies because, well, the carrot cake is all gone, and because I had promised to make tech sacrifices for the Tech Gods this week. (Linux Man in particular has been looking forward to these as I think this recipe is his favorite.)

They turned out as soft and tender and melt-in-your-mouth as ever, even with going the wholesome route again, using whole wheat flour, Sucanat, grain-sweetened chocolate chips, natural peanut butter, and organic butter and eggs. My sampling of the cookies for dessert left me very relieved that I'd gotten one recipe right, at least!

Sometimes things don't work out as well the second time around.

But at least there are always some recipes I can count on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home