Monday, September 05, 2005

Feeling Saucy

Peter may pick a peck of pickled peppers, but I'm particular enough to prefer a peck of pretty apples.

And what, pray tell, do you propose to do with a peck of pretty apples? you may ask.

Well, applesauce, of course!

It's been a few years since I made applesauce, but the basics came back to me fairly quickly (though I regret to say I added a bit too much water to the pot). I even became quite speedy at halving, coring, peeling, and slicing the apples -- after the first dozen, you get the knack, you know. I used only half the peck, though, as my pot got full after 20 or so apples.

It all went well, and the cooked apples came out of my old cone sieve as a silky, pale golden puree. Just beautiful!

And then -- disaster struck!

Well, to be fair, it was more of a silly mishap and was easily remedied. See, I assumed that applesauce needed the same amount of headspace in the jar that jams and fruits need. Alas, it needed more, as the applesauce was hot when I filled the jars, and it continued to boil inside them.

So when I took the jars out of the hot water bath, applesauce oozed from the lids and slowly poured down the sides in a pale froth.

I let the jars cool before I removed the rings and lids and spooned the excess sauce into an additional jar. Then I wiped everything down, added new lids and clean rings, and ran the jars through the hot water bath for another 20 minutes to seal them again.

At last, I ended up with 5 1/2 pints of unsweetened applesauce (leak-free) and a little peace of mind.

But the question remains:

What to do with the remaining half-peck of pretty apples?

3 Comments:

At 9/07/2005 4:16 PM, Anonymous Tina said...

Apple bread! That's what I'm doing with the apples I brought back from my trip to the parents' place this weekend--apple bread and apple sauce. And possibly some cranberry-applesauce (yummy!). And maybe, as an experiment, rhubarb applesauce, since they also still had plenty of that growing.

My parents haven't had an actual garden (other than flower gardens) since I was a little kid, but they have two apple trees and a rhubarb patch, which I try to take advantage of.

 
At 9/08/2005 7:54 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I may have to make muffins or scones for next week, but apple bread sounds wonderful, too.

And then there's always pie... :)

The cranberry-applesauce would be wonderful. I wonder if maybe I should pull some of my frozen berries (strawberries or blueberries) out for a small batch of berry sauce.

Or... I do need to go back and make apple-date bars...

Hmmmmm... thanks for triggering the ideas, Tina! :)

 
At 9/08/2005 3:45 PM, Anonymous Tina said...

Glad I could help!:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home