Friday, September 16, 2005

End-of-Season Berry

I've just stumbled across this wonderfully thoughtful and thought-provoking article by one of my favorite writers: "Renewing Husbandry" by Wendell Berry, found in Orion Magazine.

The article is long for an online article, but it's worth your while if you have been at all interested in my previous posts about local food and agriculture. Berry's writing always resonates with his love of the land and his passion for renewing local and household economy in the truest sense, and the more I read of his works, the more I'm convinced that the vision he articulates is one we should all consider.

I particularly appreciate how, in this article, he talks about how, as humans, we regularly face limits that are "not only inescapable but indispensable." We can't have everything in this world, be it consumer goods or control over all of nature. Thank goodness! Some of you know from my own choices of the past year that I've discovered that sometimes having limits can, paradoxically, result in more freedom... freedom to live more fully and more honestly... and I think that Berry's point echoes that realization.

(On a related note, I've been meaning to post the link to Grist's interview with Louella Hill, a "local-foods ambassador" in Rhode Island. Inspiring!)

Just a little something for you to read this weekend while you're waiting for more adventures from my kitchen...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home