Wednesday, September 07, 2005

3, 2, 1, Let's Jam!

It's wonderful to have cooler weather these days, because it doesn't bother me in the least now to crank up the heat under my giant canner to make preserves.

Last night I took the remaining five Bartlett pears and a couple of Early Gold apples and peeled, cored, and chopped them up for jam. I've never made pear jam before, but I had copied a recipe from (I think) Christine Ferber's Mes Confitures that sounded appealing. (I did not, however, follow it exactly... don't take what follows as a recipe because I really winged it!)

I cooked the fruit with a couple splashes of the leftover unsweetened white grape juice and a couple spoonfuls of maple sugar (since I have no granulated sugar in the house right now), along with the juice of half a lemon and a dash of vanilla. Once it had boiled and simmered for a while, I used my immersion blender to puree the fruit a little bit... not entirely, as I still wanted a certain chunkiness to the jam.

Then, I added mini diced ginger, pine nuts, and walnuts, and stirred them all in before dividing the jam between two pint jars. Add lids and rings, and process in the old hot water bath for 15 minutes.

I haven't sampled the jam yet, though it did smell wonderfully fragrant and tasty. But it looks gorgeous in the jar, all golden and chunky and rich, so I'm sure one of these days I'll have to have it on my morning toast.

A perfect pear-ing!

1 Comments:

At 9/07/2005 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home