Monday, August 29, 2005

To-may-to, To-mah-to

Boy, oh boy, have I got an abundance of tomatoes at my house! Well, rather, I did until I got busy this weekend and did something about it...

My own heirloom tomatoes have been ripening rapidly lately, and I finally had enough Costoluto Genovese to can. Granted, I only got 1 1/2 pints of crushed tomatoes canned, but hey, it's a start, right?

The three quarts of cherry tomatoes that I picked up at the farmers' market Saturday morning all ended up spending lots of time in the oven Saturday and Sunday (two batches) as I slow-roasted them until they were starting to crisp. I then packed my oven-dried tomatoes into small jars (probably close to 2 pints' worth) and covered them with organic extra-virgin olive oil. I've gotten completely hooked on making my own dried tomatoes because they taste so wonderful tossed with pesto pasta or thrown into other dishes. And when they're so easy to make... why not?

Since I still had several tomatoes left to use, thanks to my garden and the bounty of my colleague's garden, I decided it was definitely time to make an heirloom tomato tart with some fresh mozzarella picked up at Mustard Seed Market Friday evening and some of this year's homemade pesto. Though my tart did not turn out quite as fully loaded as the one Epicurious displays, it was equally colorful because I used one Goose Creek, one Green Zebra, one Pink Brandywine, two small yellow pear and one Black Cherry for a gorgeous array of tomatoes.

I'll have to get back out to pick some more since I gave the last of my ripe Black Cherry tomatoes to the Archivist this morning, and perhaps I'll be able to can a jar of Goose Creek paste tomatoes soon, too... or make some sauce.

No matter what I end up doing, those tomatoes will be good, now and later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home