Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Purple Veggie Eater

I've been debating for the past couple of days what to do with those beautiful small eggplants with their glossy deep purple skins that I picked up at the market this past weekend.

Should I make a Roasted Eggplant and Chickpea Stew? Feta, Chickpea, and Eggplant Pitas? Eggplant Parmigiana?

What I ended up making last night (after a restful sprawl in the long grass of the back yard) was the roasted eggplant and pine nut puree from Local Flavors. I substituted walnuts for the pine nuts, and though I didn't have the baguette for making crostini as called for in the recipe, I did have pita bread and could toast that for dipping.

The recipe is fairly simple, though it takes a little time to broil or bake the eggplant slices so that they're mushy enough to puree. But the combination of toasted walnuts, fresh garlic, creamy eggplant, lemon juice, and fresh herbs (basil, parsley, and mint, all from my garden) was well worth the wait. A bowl of that and some pita chips, and I was set for dinner.

And lunch today... and tomorrow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home