Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Pining Away

I've had a small package of marzipan sitting in the cupboard for a while now, just waiting for me to make pignoli cookies again. And since I needed to pick up pine nuts last week for making pesto (which I haven't done yet... soon, though!), I thought I'd go ahead and make the cookies last night.

And what better reason for making them than to celebrate the Gentleman's impending birthday?

I had meant to make these cookies much sooner... as in, before he moved away. But, well, I didn't, so now I'm left with a really good excuse to send him a care package for his birthday.

These cookies are pretty simple to throw together, so in no time flat last evening I had the dough mixed up, the cookie dough rolled in the pine nuts, and the baking sheet in the oven. And not long after that, I packed the fresh cookies into tins and got a small box ready to send off to the DC area.

I know the Gentleman would be perfectly happy with any cookies I sent him as he's grown very fond of my baking over the past couple of years. (Well, wouldn't you?) But it's much too warm out to consider sending anything chocolate (like brownies, wicked or otherwise, or dark chocolate-double nut bars), much as he would like that, and a birthday calls for something a little out of the ordinary.

A few cookies passed a quality control check last evening, though I thought these were even richer than I had remembered them being, so I will probably share the rest. (Phoenix, take note!)

But the first and best of the batch will go out in a box today, headed toward the Gentleman. Here's wishing you a very happy birthday, my friend... we all miss you around here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home