Thursday, August 25, 2005

Nuts to You

Things have been pretty busy around here, and I'm wiped out. I haven't done much cooking, so I don't have many interesting stories or recipes to share with you. (Though I have been reading Diet for a Dead Planet, which, though I've come across some of this information before, is still a downer.)

But I did make cookies the other night because, well, you can always use the comfort of cookies, right? I made my peanut butter-chocolate chip cookies, but I went the healthy route this time: I used natural peanut butter, whole wheat flour, Sucanat, 1 egg white instead of 1 whole egg, and organic soy milk in the dough. (Alas, I didn't have grain-sweetened chocolate chips.)

And do you know, those cookies turned out even more tender and flavorful than usual. I mean, melt-in-the-mouth good.

So I've been eating them morning, noon, and night, and I've only shared a few with my Opera-Loving Friends since they invited me to dinner last evening.

Sorry, folks, it's not that I don't love you. I just don't want to share my cookies this week.

Maybe next week.

5 Comments:

At 8/25/2005 4:43 PM, Anonymous Tina said...

Sounds wonderful, I may have to make cookies this weekend now! BTW, have you tried any of the natural peanut butters sweetened with honey that are out now? SO yummy!

 
At 8/26/2005 9:38 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I'm not sure I've looked that closely at the peanut butters lately... I know the one I picked up (and really like because it's CHUNKY) doesn't have any added sweetener (or salt, unfortunately for me, but oh well). But those do sound good...

 
At 8/26/2005 4:50 PM, Anonymous Tina said...

I got mine at Trader Joe's (their house brand), but Smucker's also has one. The stuff I have has only peanuts and honey, and tastes almost like Jif (but without all that preservative-laden, hydrogenated badness)!

 
At 8/28/2005 12:31 PM, Anonymous Tina said...

Ooops! I lied, the peanut butter I have also has soy lecithin and sea salt.

 
At 8/29/2005 7:04 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I checked mine when I used it up in spicy peanut sauce this weekend (man, I love that stuff)... and Arrowhead Mills peanut butter is nothing but peanuts. Sweet, sweet, roasted peanuts (not organic but at least grown in composted soil with, I presume, as little in the way of pesticides as possible)...

You know, Smuckers is practically next door to me, so I should choose their peanut butter instead... but it just never tastes quite right to me. Go figure...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home