Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Chocoholics Unite!

Last night I finished reading the lusciously tempting book Chocolate: A Bittersweet Saga of Dark and Light by Mort Rosenblum... yes, a non-fiction book that had me drooling!

Of course, when the author writes with loving lavishness about the finest chocolates in the world, how can I not be entranced?

Suffice it to say that after reading about how cacao trees and pods grow, how chocolate is processed, and how the finest fondeurs make their exquisite chocolate creations, I have two things on my mind:

1. I need to stock up on some very dark Scharffen Berger chocolate, and the sooner, the better.

2. My urge to make more of the wicked brownies, now hereby named either Dark Chocolate Seduction Torte or the Spice Mistress Chocolate Torte (take your pick), is growing stronger by the day... so I need to buy more cocoa powder and unsweetened chocolate squares.

I'd also like to put in a request for espresso truffles for my birthday.

(Please?)

6 Comments:

At 8/09/2005 4:57 PM, Anonymous Tina said...

Mmmmmm...Scharffen Berger! A good friend of mine got to tour the Scharffen Berger factory during a recent trip to Northern California. How jealous was I!

 
At 8/11/2005 3:24 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Wonderful! I hope said friend brought you back some samples... :)

 
At 8/11/2005 5:15 PM, Anonymous Tina said...

Sadly, no.:( She brought back one special edition, available only at the factory, bar for another friend of hers who's a Scharffen Berger fiend, but beyond that, didn't even buy one for herself due to a tight budget. (Yeah, I know, I totally would've kept that bad boy for myself if I were her!-lol)

She did bring me back a Seafoodwatch card from Monterey Bay Aquarium, and since I'm a big fan of seafood, the ocean, and the environment, and because I've always wanted to visit that aquarium, I've decided that's much better than the chocolate, which would've been gone rather quickly. Denial? Probably.;-)

 
At 8/11/2005 5:33 PM, Anonymous Tina said...

In all seriousness, I really do love that Seafoodwatch card, and my friend for buying it for me, even though she was on a tight budget.:-)

 
At 8/14/2005 9:25 PM, Anonymous Pixie said...

Did you know you can eat the cacao fruit? It's actually quite tasty.

 
At 8/15/2005 7:47 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

At least Scharffen Berger is becoming more widely available, Tina, so perhaps you got the best end of the deal after all. :)

Miss Pixie, I did read in this book that you could split open the fresh cacao pods and eat/drink the insides. One person in the book even distilled his own chocolate "moonshine" from that pulp. Wow! What a thought!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home