Saturday, July 23, 2005

My Date's Got the Blues

The last of the handpicked blueberries sat forlornly in the refrigerator. "We're so lonely," they whispered. "Won't you ever use us up?"

"I will, I promise," I reassured them. "I just have to find the right inspiration."

They sighed sadly and continued to wait.

Until this morning, when I decided that I was not going to make a cobbler or a pie or bread or sorbet... I wanted to make blueberry-date bars.

Ah, that got your attention, didn't it?

I was so enchanted by the candied ginger-cardamom bars I made earlier in the week that I thought, why not use that recipe as a base for date bars, throw in the rest of the blueberries while I'm at it, and have something truly wonderful?

Some days, I'm really on a roll.

So I started off with making the dough for the bars, pressing it into a square baking dish. I simmered chopped dates and the blueberries in some water, then added a smidgen of flour to thicken the fruit when I realized I had used just a little too much water. I spread the fruit over the unbaked cookie base, then mixed together a streusel of oats, maple sugar, cinnamon, and mini candied ginger and sprinkled it all over the top.

Sweet berry bliss! I had two whopping pieces of it for breakfast, which made me extraordinarily happy on a Saturday morning, and I know I'm going to enjoy it for desserts as well.

No more fresh berries to send me into a paroxysm of guilt for not using them quickly enough.

But at least there's more in the freezer!

3 Comments:

At 7/25/2005 6:10 PM, Anonymous Tina said...

That dessert sounds AMAZING!:-)

On a different note, my newest project for work is a "Fit Tip" flyer encouraging people to check out local farmer's markets and U-picks, complete with a looooong list of local (well, Detroit-Metro-area local) sites. Got the inspiration from your site!:-)

 
At 7/26/2005 7:18 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

It WAS pretty amazing... and I say WAS because it's alllll gone now. ;)

Great idea for the Fit Tip flyer! There's still plenty of time left in the summer for folks to get acquainted with their nearby farmers' markets... ours runs through mid-October.

Keep up the good work!

 
At 7/26/2005 5:40 PM, Anonymous Tina said...

Thanks!:-) Most of the farmer's markets on my list run through October as well, and the one here in Ann Arbor runs through December!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home