Friday, July 22, 2005

Donut Pass Go

I've mentioned before the sweet indulgence of fresh donuts. But no chain-store donut can hold a candle to a fresh donut from a locally-owned bakery.

One of my colleagues decided this morning that she needed to make a run to the local bakery, and she stopped by each staff member to ask if any of us wanted donuts as well. All it took was a single thought of those delectable sour cream donuts to weaken my will and force me to pony up a dollar for a couple of them.

Sour cream donuts, or frycakes as I used to call them, have a distinct advantage over the usual fluffy yeast donuts. The dough is more dense, more cake-like, but tender and flavorful. And when these babies are done right and are served fresh, the outside of the cakes have a crisp edge to them that provides a pleasing contrast to the soft crumb.

Add a sweet glaze laced with just a hint of lemon or something wonderful, and you have a substantial handful of bliss.

I was very good and shared one of my two donuts with Phoenix, and we both sat here, utterly enraptured by the glorious sweetness and delicacy of this unexpected treat.

Sigh!

But if you'll excuse me, it's time to go grab a coffee to complete the experience.

3 Comments:

At 7/22/2005 1:25 PM, Anonymous Tina said...

Mmmmmmm....sourcream donuts, one of my favorites!:-) And you're right, locally owned bakeries are where it's at! I think the best donuts I've ever had were from an orchard and cider-mill near Traverse City, MI (Amon Orchard, if you're ever in the area). They were pumpkin (cake) donuts, fresh and warm from the oven--pure heaven!

 
At 7/22/2005 1:44 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... you are SO talking my language! That might be worth a road trip this fall.

 
At 7/22/2005 4:33 PM, Blogger mrsmogul said...

You just made me super hungry!! I might have to eat some junk food now! Came by waiter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home