Thursday, July 07, 2005

Color Me Hungry

It's the middle of the week, so I'm working my way through last week's purchases at the farmers' market as I prepare meals.

Last night, I knew exactly what I wanted. I'd been craving potato pancakes again, as I have done on a regular basis since my illness months ago.

But this time, I wanted to give it a special flair by adding shredded zucchini and carrot to make confetti pancakes.

I had come across the idea just a day or two ago (and, of course, now I can't remember where, so I can't thank whoever inspired me save in this vague and rambling fashion), and it so appealed to me that it's a wonder I didn't run right home and make the recipe on the spot. (I do have some self-control.)

I didn't bother trying to find a recipe since I've made the potato pancakes often enough that I figured I knew what I was doing. It's easy enough to peel and shred the vegetables, toss in a beaten egg and spices and flour, and then scoop dollops of the colorful mess into a hot-oil-laden skillet. Brown well on both sides, slide them onto a plate, add a spoonful of plain nonfat yogurt, and dinner is served!

What a satisfying way to eat your veggies!

Confetti Pancakes

A recipe so easy you don't even really need it. Feel free to vary the spices or add different vegetables or a little shredded cheese.

1 carrot
1 small zucchini
1 potato
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 c unbleached or whole wheat pastry flour
salt, pepper, garlic powder, and/or other herbs to taste

Peel and grate all three vegetables (preferably in that order so that the potato doesn't get too discolored). Mix in beaten egg, then add flour and spices and mix until well combined.

Heat a large skillet and add olive oil to cover the bottom. (You may choose to use less oil; my skillets prefer more.) Scoop large spoonfuls of batter into the skillet and flatten slightly. Allow to brown thoroughly on one side, about 3-4 minutes, before turning and browning the other. Remove pancakes to plate lined with paper towel to drain before serving.

Serve warm with dollops of plain nonfat yogurt or sour cream. Eat with gusto. Beg for more.

1 Comments:

At 7/07/2005 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a resourceful woman you are, as it can be hard to use up everything in the fridge. But, the creations one can make....hmm....

And did I mention that I am now connected to the Internet....bwwhhahahaha....yes, I can post comments now. Consider yourself warned.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home