Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The Choices We Make

Yesterday after work, I braved the threatening weather to walk down to the natural food store to pick up a few groceries: more whole wheat pastry flour, some pine nuts for pesto, soy milk, whole allspice for pickles, and a pound of shade grown, organic, fair-trade coffee.

Yeah, I felt pretty good about buying lots of healthy groceries, some of which were intended for my continued cooking around the garden.

Then I met Phoenix and Mr. Nice Guy for dinner at a local tavern, and I promptly downed a good-sized salad, a small crock of beer cheese soup with tortilla chips, and an order of beer-battered fries... and ended up feeling overly full and not terribly happy.

Some days are like that... for every sensible choice I make that adds to my well-being and happiness, I make another choice that may give me instant gratification but a lingering unease or regret.

It's part of the beauty and the agony of being human, right?... the freedom to make choices, good or bad, well-informed or thoughtless.

I say all this because I don't want you to think that I think I'm perfect or wonderful... I'm certainly not trying to be. I'm just trying to live my life as best as I know how, doing the things that make me feel happy, healthy, and, if I'm lucky, even a little wise.

And yet some days, I do the things that make me feel completely the opposite. Go figure!

So though I love to enjoy wholesome food and read about others who are doing the same thing (the latest about the Hundred-Mile Diet is "A Local Eating Rhapsody"... and if that doesn't make you want to rush right out to a local farm or farmers' market, well, why are you reading this blog?), sometimes I fall short of my own goals and desires by taking the seemingly easy choice and ending up dissatisfied.

At least today I had a new set of choices. Granted, a couple of today's choices weren't that great, either, but at least each day I get a chance to start from scratch.

Who needs perfection? I prefer fallibility.

The choices are much more interesting.

2 Comments:

At 7/29/2005 12:59 PM, Anonymous Pixie said...

Wait a minute now! I will grudgingly concede that you are, in theory, imperfect... but trying to convince us that you are neither perfect nor wonderful??
Every healthy goddess is entitled to a brief dalliance in the Land of the Fried now and then. But even to hint that the Baklava Queen is not among the most wonderful and worthwhile companions in life? Bah! I think not!
P.S. I just discovered we have a farmer's market here - I can't wait to go!

 
At 7/29/2005 1:06 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Well, I did say that I don't think that I'm wonderful... as in, I'm not trying to be big-headed here. But I will concede the point to your gracious compliment and say, "Why, thank you, Pixie!"

Oh, and it wasn't so much the dalliance in the Land of the Fried that I regretted as I usually limit those... it was the unspeakable excess of good food (leaving me rather full and unhappy) that I regretted.

Have a happy visit to your local farmer's market... I plan on stocking up on sweet corn tomorrow!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home