Thursday, July 14, 2005

Another Berry Good Idea

The thunderstorm rolled through in the late afternoon, leaving the evening surprisingly cool and refreshing. And there I was, just itching to bake.

The black raspberries needed to be used up, and the bucket of blueberries definitely needed to be taken down a couple of notches, so I sifted through my pile of untried summer recipes and found what I'd been wanting to try: mixed-berry coffee cake.

The cake itself was fairly straighforward and surprisingly low-fat (though I didn't have any applesauce, I added extra nonfat yogurt and a smidgen more canola oil), and the recipe said to hold back about a cup of batter for the topping.

Then came the berries, coated with some of the new triple raspberry jam, to cover the cake batter. I then added dollops of leftover batter on top and sprinkled the whole thing lightly with some cinnamon sugar (stolen out of the jar of cinnamon orange peel, so a few bits of peel found their way onto the cake as well).

Forty-five minutes later, a fragrant cake came out of the oven, and half an hour after that, I added a swirled glaze of black raspberry-coconut puree (leftover "sauce" from a previous experiment) mixed with confectioners' sugar and vanilla.

Contented sigh!

The cake made a fabulous dessert last night while still warm, and though I put the cake in the refrigerator for storage (the warmth and humidity forecast for this week translates to early mold where things like this are concerned), a nice piece of cake made the perfect breakfast, too.

Wasn't that smart thinking?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home