Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Strawberry Pie Forever

What to do, what to do with the rest of those lovely organic strawberries?

Oooh! Oooh! I know! How about a pie?

In sorting through my summer recipes recently, I unearthed a vegan recipe for a strawberry "cream" pie. And since I have been on a pie kick recently, wanting to use more of that nifty new non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening, I thought, why not?

Start with a tender, flaky pie crust with a 2:1 whole wheat to unbleached flour ratio. Then blend silken tofu with powdered sugar, vanilla, a thickener (I used flour but will use agar next time as it didn't set up as well as it ought), and fresh strawberries for a gorgeously pink and creamy filling flecked with bits of juicy red berries. Top with more silken tofu blended into a "whipped cream," and chill.

Like I said, it didn't set up as well as it ought, but it looked absolutely gorgeous before I cut into it (and let the filling ooze all over), and it tastes fresh and fruity and creamy and gooooooooooood.

I'm still hoping to make some macerated strawberries from the rest of the batch, so that I have some berries to drizzle over the top of the pie. Perhaps tonight.

Wouldn't that be berry nice?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home