Monday, June 20, 2005

Nut For the Faint of Heart

I've been getting a ridiculously, wonderfully large number of ideas for cooking experiments lately. Earlier this spring, there were the lime-ginger squares. Last weekend, I tried out my idea for chai spice shortbread and herbed strawberry jams. And of course, how could anyone forget those still-to-be-named truly wicked brownies???

Now add to that list: dark chocolate-double nut bars.

One of my longtime favorite cookie bar recipes combines a shortbread base with a buttery nut filling that bakes down to an almost-toffee-like (but softer) substance. And just this past week, I idly thought to myself, I wonder what that would taste like with chocolate?

Silly question.

I changed the shortbread base to a dark chocolate shortbread base laced with almond extract, added chopped dark chocolate chips to the filling, and drizzled the cooled bars with melted dark chocolate chips.

Mmmmmm, what bliss. The dark chocolate adds just the right depth to the flavors, and there's still a wonderful contrast in texture between the melt-in-your-mouth base and the crunchy but gooey filling.

It's good to try something new once in a while.

Especially when that something new is really good!

1 Comments:

At 6/22/2005 12:03 PM, Anonymous Tina said...

*drool*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home