Friday, June 10, 2005

Me and the Boys

Some of my Dear Readers know that I am a very proud "auntie" of two adorable little boys, Beaker and Scooter. (Some of you have been subjected to regular photo displays!) But I try not to let my enthusiasm for their childlike bons mots seep into conversation (or writing) too terribly often.

Still, as the saying goes, sometimes kids "say the darnedest things!"

While visiting my boys for a play date yesterday, I was invited by their parents to stay for dinner (homemade salad and takeaway pizza... good for a warm night). I wasn't about to say no, considering the prospect of a nearly empty refrigerator at home.

Beaker impressed me with his willingness to try the veggie pizza with unfamiliar things on it, including black olives, green peppers, and mushrooms. (And though it isn't my favorite combination, how could I not try a piece when my not-quite-four-year-old "nephew" was willing to try?) He wasn't overly delighted with the pizza overall, but he did ask what different things were, and he did try them, without any forcing on the part of his parents. And knowing what a fussy eater I was at times when I was a kid, I thought he was admirably adventurous.

Of course, he also had other vegetables on his plate, as did his 14-month-old brother, and somehow that steamed broccoli got tucked under the remains of the pizza by the end of the meal. (Who of us hasn't ever tried that trick?) So when he requested dessert, the following exchange ensued:

Mommy: Did you eat all your broccoli?
Beaker: I'm full... no more room.
Mommy: Well, if you don't have room for broccoli, you don't have room for dessert.
Auntie: You could have broccoli for dessert.
Beaker: Broccoli isn't dessert! (followed by the look that clearly said, Don't you know THAT???)

Ah yes, bright boy. You can't put anything past him. But could I leave it at that? Oh no...

Auntie: Well, I've known people who had ice cream for breakfast, so I don't see why you couldn't have broccoli for dessert.
Beaker: (speculative look)
Mommy: (pointed look at Auntie)
Auntie (mumbling): I'm just saying.

Me and my big mouth. That will probably come back to haunt me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home