Friday, June 24, 2005

Lazy Day Fried Rice

I haven't been inclined to cook much this week, thanks to the fumes in the kitchen. (No, I haven't been leaving food out, and yes, I have been taking the compost out daily.) I had new kitchen windows installed Tuesday, and the fumes from the sealers and then from the paint I used to touch up the windowsills have made me pass on cooking in favor of grabbing dishes from the refrigerator and retreating to a far corner of the house.

But as the smell subsided by last evening... and I was running out of pre-made meals... I decided that I could muster a little bit of the urge to cook. Not much. But enough to shred a carrot and a tiny zucchini, to mince garlic and ginger, and to throw together a pan of vegetable fried rice.

I don't normally get fried rice when I eat Chinese takeaway... it always seems so greasy and so sparsely populated by vegetables. But making my own, well, that's a different story. I had some cooked brown basmati rice in the fridge, which makes for a nutty taste to the dish, and I added a little extra tamari and a dash of toasted sesame oil to get the extra flavor without too much extra grease, then topped the dish with some dry-roasted peanuts.

Followed by the dregs of the coconut sorbet from a recent Thai dinner, the fried rice made a good, comforting meal on an evening when I didn't want to do much of anything except curl up with a good book or watch a film with friends. And the leftover rice will probably make a really good quick lunch today.

You've got to love summertime... when the cookin' is easy.

1 Comments:

At 6/25/2005 9:32 PM, Blogger curious servant said...

Your thoughtful comment to waiter prompted my visit. . . your postings prompted further inspections. . . which prompted my bookmarking your tasty blog.

Too bad free samples can't appear on the internet!


http://jobstale.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home