Saturday, June 25, 2005

Garden City

Here we are, at last, in the long, sunny days of summer... and as I stroll around town, I see that other people have their tomatoes staked and other vegetables planted and growing tall.

In my own garden, I've been doing a good deal of weeding and can finally see an abundance of recent growth. The raspberry canes are setting flowers and thus the start of the first berries. The row of bush beans grows thick, with white blossoms peeping around the leaves. The cucumber seedlings and the dill nestle together happily, anticipating their future lives together as pickles, while the borage and the mint jostle for space in their corner. The tomato plants have finally settled in and started increasing, and the volunteer cilantro is growing so abundantly that I may have to make Indian food all week just to keep up with it!

The herb garden is going strong, too, with an abundant crop of mint (two varieties) for my ongoing jars of mint iced tea and a small bloom of lavender that offered up a handful of blossoms for lavender honey this morning.

In short, all is well in my little corner of the world.

The farmers' market, now in week 4, is also picking up with a wider variety of produce. Today I filled my pack with red potatoes, chard, broccoli, zucchini, beans, basil, kohlrabi (which I promptly shared with Papa, who taught me when I was young to love this knobbly little vegetable), and a bunch of garlic curls. With such a cornucopia of fresh veggies, I'm sure I won't go hungry this week.

So I'd better start cooking!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home